Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius Volcano Day Trip from Rome
Spend a day in the fascinating archaeological site of Pompeii with this fully guided day tour that provides you with Skip the Line access to the ruins of the city, once thriving and vibrant, now frozen in time due to the eruption of the volcano Mount Vesuvius almost two thousand years ago, which you will also have the once in a lifetime chance to visit! With comfortable round trip transportation, and a professional and friendly English speaking guide by your side as you go exploring, what better way to experience Pompeii?
Pompeii is the stuff of legends, and has inspired countless documentaries, movies and books. The UNESCO World Heritage site is truly a fascinating chapter in the book of Ancient Roman history and now you can experience it for yourself, in the company of an expert guide, on our Pompeii Day Trip from Rome. Depending on the season your tour will either be complemented by a heart-racing, face-to-face encounter with the mouth of Mount Vesuvius volcano, or a fascinating visit to the Archeological Museum that houses the most important artifacts excavated from Pompeii.
Your experience begins with a comfortable transfer from Rome on an air-conditioned coach, during which your English-speaking guide will prepare you for the day ahead – sharing fascinating stories and history. During the summer season, the first stop is high above the city and bay of Naples – on the ridge of the crater of the famous Mount Vesuvius. Infamous for the destruction of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79AD, Vesuvius has erupted many times since – and is today regarded as one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world due to the 3,000,000 people living directly in its path of destruction. Lava flows have scarred the sides of the volcano, and are visible on the winding road up to the top. From the parking area, it is a 20-minute upward hike to the crater through soft volcanic ash and pumice for which comfortable walking shoes are recommended. The view from the top is well worth the while.
During the winter season or when other factors such as weather impede a visit to Mt. Vesuvius, you'll visit the equally fascinating Archeological Museum of Pompeii. One of the first things many people notice about Pompei is that it seems empty. Beyond the surviving structures themselves, the tools, art, pottery, jewelry and other artifacts that one might expect to find remain largely out of view. This is because these objects have been transferred for safekeeping to this very museum – making a visit here the perfect complement to any Pompei experience.
Next, it's on to the highlight of the day: Pompeii. Sitting in the ominous shadow of Vesuvius, the now-ruined city of Pompeii was once a sprawling metropolis of shops and residences, restaurants, gyms, and brothels. Entering with our Skip the Line, pre-booked access you'll walk Pompeii's main streets just as the ancient Romans did. The stones are still worn with tracks from the drawn carriages that tread them nearly 2000 years ago! You'll visit the forum, the center of Pompeii's political and social life, as well as view the startling plaster death casts of the victims of the catastrophic eruption that destroyed the city –freezing forever in time a moment that would live on in history. Your visit to Pompeii, as per regulation, is given by an officially licensed local Pompei guide who knows the archeological site inside and out. Your official guide will be instrumental in making your visit a fascinating and informative experience.
Join this comprehensive and fascinating tour of Pompeii and discover why this UNESCO World Heritage Site continues to shock and fascinate the 2.6 million people who venture here each year.
- Expert English-speaking guide
- Groups no larger than 24 per tour
- Round trip transport from Rome in a private, air-conditioned bus
- Ticket and reservation fees for Pompeii
- Free time in Naples (from 9 Nov 2020 - 27 Mar 2021)
- Entry ticket to Mt. Vesuvius (from 17 Sept 2020 - 8 Nov 2020 & 28 Mar 2021 - 14 Nov 2021)
- Free time in Naples in case of bad weather or strikes
Know Before You Go
• This tour involves a fair amount of walking, comfortable shoes are recommended.
• Appropriate dress is required for entry into some sites on this tour. Knees, shoulders and backs must be covered.
• Temperatures on the Volcano may be a bit lower than temperatures on the ground, a sweater or light jacket is recommended, especially outside of the summer months.
From November 9th, 2020 to March 27th, 2021 instead of visit Mt. Vesuvius, we’ll drive a short way to Naples, the beautiful "city by the bay", where we’ll leave you enough free time to walk around the city center, to take in the atmosphere of this buzzing city, with its iconic Castle Nuovo, also called Maschio Angioino, one of the symbols of the city, the famous Umberto I Gallery, an art deco masterpiece of glass and iron, the monumental Plebiscito Square, where you may want to savor an authentic Neapolitan coffee or some of the delicious local pastries while watching the world go by.
This tour is available daily and begins at 7:30 AM. The duration of this tour is 12 hours.
Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 48 hour in advance for a full refund.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID to your guide.
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 15 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.
- At the center of Piazza del Popolo, by the large fountain with the lions and the obelisk. Your tour begins and ends here.
- Look out for your tour guide here. For easy recognition, he/she will be wearing a blue polo shirt.
- It is the individual responsibility of all visitors to arrive at the tour departure point.
- Missed tours or tickets due to late arrivals cannot be refunded. You are required to be at the meeting point latest by 7:15 AM.
- Board bus 119 and get off at Piazza Popolo bus stop.
- This is a 1-minute walk to the meeting point.
- Board the metro line MEA and get off at Flaminio metro station.
- This is a short walk to the meeting point.
Please note that our vendor will be unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance. They will be unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages as well.