Entire Vatican City Guided Tour with St Peter's Basilica Dome Climb
Discover the wonders of Italy’s classical and renaissance periods on this exciting guided tour of the Vatican and its crown jewel - the Basilica of St. Peter. Climb to the top of Michelangelo's famous Cupola and admire the incredible panoramic view of Rome and its surrounding natural splendour.
- Climb to the terrace of St. Peter’s Basilica and enjoy stunning glimpses of Rome and its surroundings. The terrace of the Basilica is the highest point in Rome.
- Your visit to St. Peter's Basilica will take place early in the morning, which lets you enjoy the tour before the crowds mill in.
- A local tour guide will accompany you on the tour and help you understand the rich history of the monuments you will be visiting.
- Save time with the fast-track entry to the Vatican’s museums.
- Visit the pristine Sistine Chapel and admire its sumptuous interiors.
- This is the only tour that includes all the best attractions of Vatican city: the Museum, Sistine Chapel, Papal tombs, and St Peter's Dome.
Enjoy the Panoramic View of Rome and its Surroundings
Join your guide at St. Peter’s Square and begin the ascent to the St Peter’s Basilica’s terrace. While the Basilica itself is an extraordinarily popular tourist destination, less than 1% of its visitors get an opportunity to enjoy the wonderful view from the terrace. St. Peter's Basilica, the largest church in the world, is built at the exact spot where St. Peter was crucified in 64-68 AD. The architecture of the Basilica is of a unique Barocco style, and it houses many important cultural artifacts, such as various striking mosaics and Michelangelo's Pieta, all of which you can see for yourself. The top of Michelangelo’s Cupola is an ideal spot to see many of Rome’s most famous monuments. From here, your guide will point out some of the attractions that you will be visiting later in the day as well as other interesting sites. This will be followed by an exhaustive tour of St Peter’s Basilica and its fantastic Papal Sarcophagi, where you will get a chance to marvel at the Renaissance masterpieces of Bernini and Michelangelo. After this, you can take a breather and get a drink at a stopping point between the Basilica and the museums. so as to not exhaust yourself.
Tour the Vatican with Fast-Track Entry
Skip the long lines and walk through the streets that are resplendent with the allure of classical Rome. Your guide will take you to the Sistine Chapel nestled in the Apostolic Palace, the official home of the Pope himself. Since its restoration in 1480 by Pope Sixtus IV, the Sistine Chapel has been an important icon in Christian history. Gaze at the legendary ceiling of the chapel and The Last Judgement that were painted by Michelangelo himself under the patronage of Pope Julius II. You will then walk through the Vatican and visit its many museums with fast-track entry. Learn about the city’s role in shaping world history and Christianity as it is perceived today.
- Admission to the Sistine Chapel
- Fast-track entry into Vatican City Museums
- Tour of Vatican City and its Museums
- Admission to the St. Peter’s Basilica
- Dome climb and visit to the Papal Sarcophagi
- Expert local guide
- Pick-up and drop-off services
- Food and drinks
- Visit to the Necropolis / St. Peter’s Tomb / Scavi
Know Before You Go
- On the days surrounding religious holidays in Rome, St. Peter's Basilica and/or the Papal Tombs occasionally undergo unpredictable closures. In the event of such closings, no refunds will be given. Alternatively, we will substitute an alternative attraction in lieu of the closed attraction.
- You are not permitted to take photos inside the Sistine Chapel.
- During peak season in Rome and especially on and around religious holidays, there can be some unavoidable waiting time in order to pass through the security checks and enter inside the monuments. Due to the sheer numbers of people entering Rome's monuments some waiting time can be unavoidable and is unfortunately beyond our control.
- We are unable to accommodate late arrivals on walking tours. No refunds will be given for failure to arrive at our tour meeting point by the scheduled departure time. Where available, a later tour may be scheduled and a rebooking fee will be incurred
Availability & Timings
The tour operates from Monday to Saturday (excluding Wednesday) at 8 AM.
For entry into the Vatican, shoulders, and knees must be covered for both men, women, and children. No refunds will be given if entry is refused due to lack of appropriate dress. No knives, weapons, or sharp objects will be permitted inside.
Unfortunately, this tour is not accessible by wheelchair. If you or someone if your party requires a wheelchair in order to tour Rome, please contact us so that we may offer a private tour alternative.
Moderate Cancellation Policy
You may cancel this experience up to 48 hours in advance for a full refund.
Changes to tours will be allowed, subject to availability.
How to Redeem Your Tickets
You will receive an email confirmation along with your mobile voucher shortly. You can show your mobile and printed voucher along with some valid photo ID before the tour commences.
Please note that this tour is in two parts.
Meet at 7:45 AM for a prompt 8:00 AM departure by the Tiare fountain (Fontana delle Tiare), just beneath Largo del Colonnato and in front of the pillars which run around Saint Peter's Square. Your guide will be holding a When in Rome Tours signboard. If you are facing St. Peter's Basilica, follow the pillars to the right until you come to the fountain.
For the second part of the tour, meet at 11 AM for 11:30 AM departure from When in Rome Tours Office, Via Sebastiano Veniero 21.
This tour is valid for the date selected at the time of booking.